Is your once spacious home beginning to feel more like the incredible shrinking home? There are a plethora of reasons why so perfect at first now has you wondering if a move is in your future. It could be your family has simply outgrown the space; perhaps you need a home office, or as is the case for many of us, you’ve just grown tired of the worn flooring, outdated bathrooms and drab kitchen. But before making any drastic changes, consider these practical tips.
- Get rid of the clutter. It’s human nature, the longer you live in one place, the more stuff you end up accumulating. So before you blame that cramped feeling on lack of square footage, try a major purge. There are many good books and websites that can help you reclaim your living space.
- Think outside the box in terms of your current residence. A little imagination and the help of a good architect or general contractor can go a long way in reconfiguring your present home.
- The kids have left the nest and your home has simply become too big. You no longer have the energy or desire to keep up 4 bedrooms, 3 baths and a huge den and there is no amount of practical remodeling that can reduce your home’s size. If this is the case, then call a Realtor and start packing! A smaller home can do everything from ease the financial burden of a larger residence to allow you to reclaim your leisure time in terms of less upkeep and cleaning.
- Often while remodeling will allow you to create the home of your dreams, don’t discount being able to do that with a new home, especially if it is new construction.
- Don’t disregard the emotional attachment you have to your current residence but at the same time recognize the importance of rationally reaching a decision that is in your best interest.
The professionals at Carolina RES are here to assist in providing answers to many of those important real estate and home improvement questions. From home inspections to indoor air quality and radon testing, please call 864-242-1099 today.